Saturday, January 6, 2007

Terrytoons

I have just discovered Terrytoons. Okay, I didn't just discover them since I have seen Mighty Mouse before and Terrytoons studio made that series. I think you understand what I mean though. They weren't exactly all over the TV when I was busy watching cartoons as a kid, so therefore, they are new to me. I think it is true shame too that my generation didn't get to grow up with them. I find them hilarious. Pretty much every cartoon has a moral (as all good cartoons do), but they get them across in brilliant ways. For example there is one cartoon, Happy Valley, which amuses me to no end. It is the story of a happy happy valley (surprise!) and they have no problem singing about how happy they are. But it wasn't always so happy according to granpa. "It was the night of the big barn dance. . ." Dissolve to a shot of everything and everyone dancing, including the trees, horses, and hens (naturally). !!Lightning strikes!! Now the villain gets a song. His name is Greed. Greed places some gold in the land and everyone in Happy Valley goes crazy and digs up their crops in search of more despite granpas warning: "Happiness and contentment are your riches! Don't be poisoned by greed!" Spring comes, but no gold and no crops! The farmers had learned their lesson that peace and contentment are the true riches in life. This is all done in a song, mind you, making it quite impressive in my opinion. What happened to the marriage between cartoons and song? I love that about the older Disney movies. There was always singing involved! Maybe I love this aspect so much because I am not a very good musician. I find it disappointing that this tradition is dying.
UPDATE! Apparently the only place you can see Terrytoons is at ASIFA-Hollywood (I don't count small clips on YouTube). Wow, I gotta make the most of that one. They aren't going to put them on DVD because I guess they don't believe they are good enough. But I beg to differ. I was also just told that I am free to make a copy of whatever I please for my reference! Man, I lucked out with this internship! So I can show some of you the wonderful singing Terrytoons.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey... I can't believe you know about The Greed! My little brother and I saw the Happy Valley cartoon when we were little (possibly as a short at the end of some Rainbow Brite movie??) and it has haunted us to this day. We very much would like to see it again and have been unable to find very much about it at all! Would you know how we could see him again after all these years (and possibly become less terrified...)? We would appreciate any information!

c287 said...

How can I watch the cartoon through ASIFA- Hollywood. I've tried but can't get to it. I would really appreciate your response.

Anonymous said...

I love this toon, where can I get it?!