Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Fear of Judgement

"Hello, my name is Gemma Ross. I attend Dartmouth College. Yes, that is an ivy-league. I am a Computer Science major at an ivy-league school, may I please serve popcorn?"
For some reason I find it odd that I wonder whether or not I am truly qualified to work for Starbuck's Coffee. Perhaps my course on Women's History from Antiquity to the Reformation or Discrete Mathematics in Computer Science did not prepare me for the life of a barista, but I think that, if hired, I could serve one fine cup of coffee to the addicted masses. I am afraid that I have been judged by Robek's, Starbucks, AMC, Blockbuster, and Borders, and been found wanting. If given the chance, I would show them how tasty I could make tea, how smoothly I could blend smoothies, how lovingly I could butter popcorn, how efficiently I could scan movies. God of Part-Time Jobs, let me try my hand at these, and I promise to please.
Although, I suppose it has still only been a few days, and some of the afore mentioned companies may yet get back to me. I wait in anticipation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I know the feeling. Why is it so hard to get a job like that when you are clearly over qualified?
Good luck, though :) I'm sure something will work out!