Sunday, January 21, 2007

By Numbers

This one is for Erin because she complained that I hadn't written anything new (some of these might be a stretch):
0- (one must not forget about the number zero, as all good computer scientists know) The number of times I thought I would have to worry about the SAT ever again. How wrong I was.
1- The number of people I have inspired through my blog. It has been confirmed, I am Miss Allie Fecych's muse. I expect this number to grow by leaps and bounds in the coming months. Maybe I will inspire you to take a greater interest in animation, to start your own blog, to adopt a child (*disclaimer* this is not recommended for most of my known readers), or to simply try a new flavor of ice cream.
2- The ideal number of headlights on an automobile which became so much more enchanting when Disney's Main Street Electrical Parade came up on shuffle on my iPod (yes, this happened last night. THE 405 and I had a magical moment together).
3- The number of people I know who are currently visiting New Zealand. Those lucky jerks. Hi mum!
4- The amount of days I have to fully prepare myself for my first training session with Revolution Prep. I am supposed to have 10 days, but I suppose less than half will do. (Holy man!) So far I have learned that my students have no choice but to trust that I know what I am talking about when I stand at the front of the room. What a scary realization.
5- The number of tanks of gas I have filled since January 3rd. That is a new tank of gas every 3.6 days! Typical SAT question: At this rate, how many tanks of gas will I have fed to my car before I officially think I drive too much in L.A.?
6- times 2. . . . The biting temperature that is currently besieging Hanover, NH. Yikes! People have asked me whether I will bring my car to Dartmouth and I always respond with "No! Who would subject a car to such weather?" Now that I am in L.A. for winter I am forced to realize how ridiculous that is. For if I thought it inhumane to subject a piece of metal to the cold how could I think it okay to subject myself to it? If you have the choice of a low of 56 during the winter or 12, what would you choose? No wonder I find there is such a difference between people from the east coast and the lucky ones from the west (Erin, you are an anomaly), I think a part of them is permanently frozen. Like the baby toe or ear lobe. I am not implying that people from the east are frigid, I promise they are just as human and caring as we are.
7- The total number of scarves, hats, and jackets that I will not wear until next winter. They are getting lonely. Perhaps I shall take them on an outing anyway to persuade them that they are still well loved.
8- The hour that I arrived at a pub in Santa Monica this morning with the Foley's to watch the Manchester United v. Arsenal game. I decided that both Bonnie and I will have to live in the same area when we grow up so that we can go to a pub together at 8 in the morning to watch soccer games. I hope she doesn't mind that I have scheduled this into her future. Other people are invited too but she is the one I can imagine actually doing it with.
9- About the number of successful pieces of fish that Alexis and I made when we attempted fish sticks the other day. Getting the oil the right temperature is hard! But I decided that since I did manage to cook edible food, I can cross off "Learn to live in the real world" from my to do list. I give Alex and myself one gold star (we will have to learn to share, one more thing to cross off the list).
10- The number of fingers on my hands and the number of toes on my feets (not to be too cocky or brag). (The fingers are counted separate from the toes, this does indeed make 10).

5 comments:

pogo said...

I like the fact you said, "when we grow up" as if we're still kids. I agree, in fact, I say that we move to the UK and just go to the games live! Only by the time we grow up though. Go Chelsea!

laura said...

you are funny. i like you.

Ashley Lane said...

gemMA you are neat. and ill go to the pub with you and bonnie, i like pubs, i miss pubs.

theres a constant layer of snow on the ground (like a foot) which is nice and all, but im tired of it. im jealous of you and your LA sun

and stop it with the THE's and freeways

Emma said...

no, i'm frigid.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.