Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Land of the Far Beyond

I feel like. . . a little squirrel, if you will, who has lived her whole little life in a little nest with her little siblings and less little mother. For the sake of the story, I will call myself Perri. Perri the squirrel. This is my true life fantasy. (For those of you, as in most of you, who do not understand this reference, I recommend checking this out. It is the first, the finest, and the last true life fantasy ever made.)
It all started last Tuesday on the corner of 7th and Wilshire. I walked in to Revolution Prep feeling almost sick because of nerves. Yet I had my lesson down pat. "Rugby is a game of its men of fame, of its men of--" no, it didn't go like that. But as much as I had practiced my 2-3 minute crash course on rugby, I still have no idea what I actually said when I got up to speak to the "class." Apparently they liked what I had to say though because I was invited back to training. I was given a binder of all of our materials on Friday and asked to learn it by Tuesday. I ate, breathed, and dreamed about that binder. Come training on Tuesday, I managed to pull myself together and not mess up horribly. So they kept me around for the second day of training (quick note: everyone who came to the first day of training came to the second, I wasn't special). I also managed to scrape through that tonight with all body parts still in tact. By scrape, I really mean stroll with confidence until we got to the grammar section. I could go into detail about why grammar and I are not friends but I think I will spare you, or just save it for a later post.
I am now a trained SAT prep instructor.
This is where Perri comes back into the picture. I have been given my materials and my instructions, but will I be able to leave the nest and walk along that branch without falling into the frightening Land of the Far Beyond?
A bit lost, a bit nervous, and also a bit excited, I stride out in the world armed with only my dry erase markers, binder, and Revolution t-shirt. Can I handle the pressure and judgment of the high school students? Stay tuned.
P.S. when I put links in blog, I put them there because I really think they are worth going to, click on the Revolution link, see where I work. It is a really cool company (that does not just provide services for rich white kids so they can go to rich private schools)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Perri... I'm so glad that you've decided to share the immense joy that is Disney's True Life Fantasy with the masses. (No squirrels were harmed in the writing of this post. The same cannot be said about the making of the movie however.)

pogo said...

Gemma Ross -
This is a bogus comment that is in no way a reply to this particular blog entry (with this exception: clever Dr. Lucky hidden reference). I almost wish your blog was a forum, because that is more the spirit of this comment:

Is the real world better than school? More specifically, I'd like reassurance that in the real world I won't have to read 12 lb textbooks ever again, because so far I feel that is what college is all about. My only encouragement to immerse myself in 988 pages of thermodynamics is that once I learn it and graduate, I'll never have to do it again. Instead, I can actually do things. Like design stuff, and build stuff, and NOT read textbooks.

I have a thermo midterm tomorrow and this textbook is driving me a little insane. The authors of this book try a little too hard to make it unscience-y, resulting in excepts such as this:

"In daily life, the concepts of Mr. Right and Ms. Right are also idealizations, just like the concept of a reversible (perfect) process. People who insist on finding Mr. or Ms. Right to settle down are bound to remain Mr. or Ms. Single for the rest of their lives. The possibility of finding the perfect prospective mate is no higher than the possibility of finding a perfect (reversible) process. Likewise, a person who insists on perfection in friends is bound to have no friends." I have to read 988 pages of this crap!

I think it's safe to say that the author of this excerpt is unhappy in life. He obviously has no friends and his wife hates him for writing thermodynamics textbooks for a boring living(which is probably why he has no friends to begin with). So, he tries to divert his own personal failings in life by creating a simplified reversible process analogy, thus further angering his wife and us students who have to read this.

I also feel that passages such as this one inevitably discourage engineers into a life of bitter loneliness. Please don't leave me, I swear I'll stop reading this crap as soon as I graduate. I have friends...

Anonymous said...

Gemma.... My Dear How Are You Doing.... I Hope All Is Well, And All That Good Stuff. So I'm Bored But You Know, Its Really Nothing New. So I've Come To Enjoy Your Blog, No Not Like I Didn't Like It, But Now I Do... I Really Like It A Lot, Though I Don't Read Em Every Day, But Often Non The Less... So My Original Reason For Why I'm Commenting Is This...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/390609/c_ronaldo_the_teenager/

Its Your Favorite! Anyways Cheers To You And Enjoy Your Eye Candy.
-Kenny