Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Emerald of LA

Today I rediscovered the beauty of grass. Now here me out on this one! At about this time back in NH, I would be preparing myself to not see grass for several more months. I have always found Dartmouth to be an incredibly beautiful place to attend. I am proud of my brick school in the middle of the woods. But I am finding beauty in my surroundings in L.A. as well.
Everyday I drive down Temescal Canyon in the Pacific Palisades, ahead of me is a gorgeous view of the sparkling blue Pacific Ocean. Perhaps I am sprinkling too much fairy dust on Los Angeles but I can't deny that I love the Pacific. I personally haven't found an ocean to rival it. The sun here doesn't hurt either. While I know that a fresh blanket of snow makes everything gorgeous in NH despite the cold, the quality of sun in L.A. makes many things quite pretty despite the mass quantities of pavement and the abundance of cars.
Okay, back to my original topic of grass. My friends from high school, Sergio and Alicia, took me on a driving tour around LMU's campus this afternoon. I think it is lovely. With that generalization out of the way I can get onto the true details of what intrigued me about the tour: the green green grass. As the library and dorms were pointed out on my left, I could barely lift my gaze from the 3 people playing on the grass to my right. Three people? If we had this sort of grass at Dartmouth in January, you probably wouldn't be able to see the grass because of the amount of people who flocked over to enjoy it. C'mon L.A.! This is a winter paradise and most don't seem to notice.
Los Angeles is without a doubt a very exciting place to live or visit, but I believe that we have intrinsically different values. Although I will not write it off before I have tried it, I doubt a long relationship would last between us. I could list more reasons but I am getting tired plus I still want to try to keep each post to a decent length. I also don't want to sound too negative about L.A. Don't worry, I still like you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, grass is lovely. But in Hanover we have mud! That grainy, gravelly kind that so artistically splatters the backs of your pant legs is truly special and you know you miss it. And perhaps since all we have now is mud we'll have feet of snow when you return in March! Won't that be nice?

Kim said...

I think that a relationship between the toe and the hometown of the face is important in a body...give it another chance, LA can be really nice sometimes. I'll give it a talking-to if it doesn't cooperate. Except for the traffic, can't do much about that.