Monday, February 19, 2007

The Time for Stories

I have always envied people who are good storytellers. I would like to think that given a good story I would also be a good storyteller too. Then again, the mark of a good storyteller is also being able to find those stories. While I have envied those who can entertain with their tales, I have equally disliked those who are horrible at relating stories. My sorority meets every Wednesday night to go over a bit of business and then to generally have fun and SHARE STORIES about our week. I have found there is a pattern to who shares stories, what they are about and how well they are told. Most people are not good at sharing their stories, no matter how interesting the subject may have been. If you are an amateur story-sharer then I think it is important to hit the basics. The basics include having a beginning, a middle, and an end. You do not need to stick to this religiously, but it helps structure your narrative so that those who are listening do not get lost in the mess of a yarn you are spinning.
There are all kinds of storytellers. There are the kids (or adults) who tell a lie to get out of trouble. Reporters who present the world with its happenings. Fathers who read to their children before it is time to sleep (or in my case: fathers who read to their kids while they both fall asleep). The point is, I admire the art of storytelling because it is not a skill that comes easily to me. In fact, the hardest part of any animation I have done is coming up with the story. I know that with time and work I will get the movements correct, but a story doesn't come quite as easily.
Every time I post is somewhat like torture for me because I need to come up with a mini story that I think will at least interest if not truly entertain my readers (which is, of course, my ultimate goal, goodness the things I do for you people). Since I am picky and unfriendly, I admit that I am not interested in every step of my friend's lives or nights out (unless it includes something truly extraordinary, like someone in a gorilla suit). Therefore I assume that no one would be interested in that about me and lately I have not run into anyone in a gorilla suit. Very disappointing. Quite the dilemma! A Gemma dilemma! Coincidence? I think not. As it turns out, that is pretty much the only word that rhymes well with my name.
My narrative strays. Well, the other day I received a blitz from my friend Mandy who is also taking this term off. We are both taking the Projects in Digital Arts class(or something titled similar to that) next term. Basically we spend 10 weeks making a movie, start to finish, in small groups. Mandy and I have decided we must be in a group. We have also invited Thomas (Donahoe, for those SHPeople who read this) to join us, I don't know if he knows that yet. While I have many stylistic ideas that come to me at the oddest times (okay not that odd, usually while I am driving, it is a great time to think, what else are you doing in the car anyway?), I am a complete blank when it comes to possible stories. Mandy's blitz asked me what our animation should be about. The dreaded question. I responded by saying it should be about a pet rock. Living or inanimate? (Thank you, Caroline). Sadly, I do not think this idea will really take flight.
Ah this post has gotten so long and I still haven’t gotten to the whole impetus for this specific post! The other night, at the Coral (naturally), Steve told a story of a man he worked with at Filmfare (I think that is where?) who decided that he would go up in a lawn chair. Yes, up in a lawn chair. Up where, you ask? No, just up, in a lawn chair, with many a weather balloon tied to it. I was particularly interested in this story, not only because it is pretty amazing that some guy got it into his head that he should go up (as high as a plane mind you) in a lawn chair, but also because the story sounded quite familiar. I had heard it before. In fact, I had seen it. This story had been turned into a play, titled Up, that was performed at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival last year. It is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard, twice. But Steve is a fantastic storyteller so I didn’t mind at all that I had already heard the fictionalized version of the story. I wish I was a good storyteller like Steve. I suggest everyone hear this specifically mentioned saga, by the way, but not from me right now because the length of this post has really gotten out of hand. I feel like everything I do now involves storytelling! I saw the animated shorts nominated for the Academy Awards tonight and all I could focus on was how well they told their story.
I am done with stories for the night. I am going to go to bed, and listen to the Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde because my mum has kindly gotten me addicted to books on tape.

1 comment:

J.D. Mata said...

Hi Gemma,
Steve is a genius storyteller and you "Spin" a good yarn yourself :)...jd