Monday, February 5, 2007

Addiction

I have not posted in a while, for that I apologize. It was brought to my attention that reading blogs is addicting. While I don't suggest that my blog alone causes the addiction, I am sorry for the withdrawal that some of my readers may have experienced. I like to think that I do not have a very addictive personality, which is why I have yet to get hooked on pretty much anything (even though my mum has tried so hard with tea), so I have some trouble relating to this. But I kind of counted on having pictures to fill up the days that I could think of nothing to write. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that will happen for quite a while. Still no camera. I don't really want to talk about it.
Anyway, I haven't written because I haven't had all that much to talk about really. Oh. . . well I guess I have. I lied. I did quite a few things this weekend.
Saturday night I met up with my Rebecca friend and my Bethy friend! Beth was in LA visiting from Boston for a while. We took Beth to authentic Californian food, a.k.a. Mexican food. Where she proceeded to confuse herself over what she had ordered in a "different" language and also get excited over mole sauce (pronounced like the little mammal featured in the Wind and the Willows by Beth). After food we went to play pool. Rebecca and I were the youngest people there and I believe the bar tender offered us apple juice. Very sweet of him. I also think we were the only people laughing there too. People take themselves so seriously! Maybe pool is more than Saturday night entertainment to some, but you would have thought we trespassed on something sacred the way some people stared at how we butchered the game and sang loudly to all the songs. They needed to relax; be more like us.
On Sunday, I went to the Getty Villa. Which is like the Getty Museum. But a Villa. I went with Alexis and Sean and all of their couple friends. I stood out. I am not in a relationship, nor am I married (surprise!). Back to the Villa. It was built to resemble the Paparii Villa, which was covered up by that big volcano eruption that wiped out all of Pompeii; it was Mt. Vesuvius I believe. Well it was simply gorgeous, dahling. The architecture and gardens were just fabulous. (I hope you read that in the right voice). They also have a decent collection of Greek and Roman. . . . well, stuff, to put colloquially. They had a lot of stuff. Being a true art expert, I can say that none of it was really AMAZING except for some of the mosaics. There was a really beautiful one of Venus pouring rose petals about, as you are wont to do as goddess of love, and a nice pair of tigers doing various violent things. I was more interested in seeing them for all of the pieces for their age and story, awakening my love for history, rather than for their value as art.
Then I watched the Super Bowl, a very different form of art. I believe this brings my weekend to a close. I hope this satisfied a certain specific reader.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am satisfied, though surprised to hear you are not married! What have you beeng doing in LA??

Anonymous said...

erin!!!!! don't encourage her!!!

Anonymous said...

I would've complained about Gemma Blog Withdrawal Syndrome, however my internet has been down since Thursday and conveniently for me, you haven't posted during this down time. This, of course, accounts for the Lack of Bonnie Commentitis your blog has recently experienced. Glad to see we're both taking vitamins and are back on track.

My vitamins are orange chewables!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I didn't think you stood out at all. Several of those "couple friends" I don't think of as couples at all, despite that whole marriage thing. But I suppose that's a story for another time. They are the most ambivalent of all couples. Thus the me not noticing you were singled out, ha, get it? You will understand by the end of your time here, really. You will feel different from them because you are a person who is pretty normal, not because you are single.