Friday, February 9, 2007

Dated

First of all, I would like to point out the beauty of the internet. It allows anyone to express any opinion no matter how outrageous. Now that I have made that clear, I would like to point out that my blog is a wonderful example of this. I do not expect you to agree with anything I write, let alone believe it. So! In my world astronomy/astrology is not a science. I would rather continue to think of the stars as I saw them as a child. They are the beautiful things that only decide to reach their full potential when away from the garish city lights. The only science-like thing I want to know about the stars is that the universe is infinite. I understand that this may seem strange to some people. Unfortunately I cannot even attempt to put into words the awe, the amazement, the. . . (I have no words) that I felt when I learned this. It might be really obvious that the universe is infinite but it is a difficult concept to fully imagine. I loved the feeling when I first realized that a miniature of the universe still couldn't fit into a shoebox. I miss that feeling too, because now that I am older and hopefully wiser that feeling comes with alarming infrequency.
It must be true then that youth is wasted on the young. I came to this conclusion this evening when driving back from the Coral where I had been repeatedly called 11 years old by a certain Mike F. (who insists he can get away with anything as long as he is wearing a NY hat). This is supposed to be a compliment to a woman, but I personally just feel bashful about the fact that I am the youngest when at the Coral. I am young and sadly I have to admit that I must be missing something. While I was neither complimented nor offended by being called so young (I was actually quite amused), I had trouble figuring out why it was so important that I was the youngest at the table (only by 7 years mind you, a brief bit of time if you ask me). Since I could not figure this out I have to admit that I am obviously not appreciating youth as much as I should. Yet, I have never experienced anything but my current youth and my even younger years, so how I am supposed to know if I am appreciating my age as much as I should? Aye, there's the rub. While I think I am enjoying my age to it's fullest potential, how will ever be able to tell if that is so until I am older? Then it is too late by that time, convincing me that youth certainly might be wasted on the young. However, this statement cannot be said in any vindictive manner, for everyone has had the chance to waste his or her youth, even the elderly.
So, while I am still young, I fully plan on looking at the stars without bringing science in to dampen or change their glow. (I do acknowledge that perhaps science brightens the stars for others, but hey, this is my blog).

1 comment:

pogo said...

That last line there, that is why I'm doing aerospace.

There's a strange age dynamic going on at my DBF thing, where half the time I'm working strictly with grad students (some going for their PhD) and they love to impart their "when I was an undergrad..." stories & advice while pointing out how old they are. The other half of the time, I'm working with a freshman (who, frankly, knows more than me) and I find myself constantly relating stories & advice from "when I was a freshman." I think that's just one of those things you have to do in the presence of someone younger, especially if the younger person is in college (it's an easy period of life to conjure up memories I suppose). It just seems natural to want to look back on those days and either be thankful they're over and you are where you are now, or be thankful for the memories and eager to share them with someone else.