Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Annie's

Then Sunday finally came! I woke up again at 7 and got ready for the Annie's. You might be thinking: "Whoa there Miss Eager, isn't that a bit early?" I agree with you. But I had to tutor all morning and afternoon before the Annie's so 7 seemed like a good time to wash and blow dry my hair. About 90 miles and 9 hours later, Alexis and I stood in front of the Alex Theater. It is a lovely theater and has neon lights in the front. Of course, it had a red carpet too, which we discovered had a rather large lump in it, that couldn't have been safe. There were also two large animated characters, the bear and the uhh deer from Open Season. Alexis and I greeted my archive friends (a.k.a. the 4 people I knew at the Annie's) then proceeded to the bar so that Alex could get something to drink. I could not, however, because I had been very honest and said that I am not yet 21. Silly me. It is only a few months.
Once we had wandered inside the theater we took a look at our tickets and discovered that we had seats in the very front row of the balcony! Very good seats! We took pictures, I will get those and put them up ASAP. (if you cannot wait, then look at some of the pictures on the ASIFA-Hollywood blog).After 4 hours or so, I discovered that the show had ended. It had gone by so quickly! I am not really certain what to say about it though because I have no idea what people want to know about it. So here it goes:
The host of the show was Tom Kenny, best known I suppose for being Spongebob Squarepants. He was quite amusing and full of energy. The family of Windsor McCay was there too! Speaking of Windsor McCay (who you should all know, if you don't, please look him up), they give out Windsor McCay awards at the Annie's for career achievement in animation. This year there were three recipients: Bill Plympton, Genndy Tartakovsky and Andreas Deja. I have to admit that I know very little about Genndy, apparently he did the Samurai Jack stuff. But Bill Plympton on the other hand I certainly had heard of before. For anyone who has seen his work will not soon forget it. I can't even describe it. But I know that he tends to shoot his animations on 4's and 5's instead of 3's, giving it a slightly jerky feel. Andreas Deja I know because he has done a lot of work for Disney. Look these guys up. John Lasseter was also there and he spoke to Steve and said that he would stop by the archive! I can only hope that Steve might convince him to come to the archive soon. . . while I am still here. I hope Steve reads this. I would please like a job at Pixar for this summer or after college.
After all awards were given (the award is in the shape of a zoetrope by the way, pretty neat), Alex and I headed downstairs and outside on our way to the "after party," which consisted of a buffet full of food shaped garlic. There were very few seats and both of us were tired so we did not end up staying too long. Instead we went to get pizza all dressed up.
For some reason I feel like this post isn't as exciting as it should be but you will have to forgive me because I am again very tired and starting to get lonely due to a lack of friends (the Foley's are in Montana) despite all the glamour in LA. If you live in LA, we should be friends so that I can have more people to be social with. As it turns out I am a social person, even though I tend to have a short wick with most people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genndy Tartakovsky is amaaaaazing! I miss you.

J.D. Mata said...

Hi Gemma. I just got back from Tahoe. I hope you are well, and hope to see you soon at the Coral. You looked beautiful at the ANNIES!