Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The One Busy Weekend

The moment you have all been waiting for! I will now share with you the event that was my weekend. It started Thursday night at the Coral when I met John K. (for longer than a hello this time). I noted that he turns his head rather quickly, likes to raise his eyebrows, and has a gruff voice (these are the things I noticed, whether they are true or not is up for debate). I liked his glasses; thick green frames. I also liked that he got spinach in his scrambled eggs. I was invited by Steve to John's house on Friday night. I wasn't sure what to say at first because my answer is obviously "I would love to," but I was just so struck by the fact that Steve asked me even though John was sitting directly across from me. By the end of the night I had been given John's address and phone number and also been invited by J.D. to watch a movie shoot on Saturday night. I left the Coral that night feeling very LA.
Friday I shopped "like mad" for a dress to wear to the Annie's. I had nothing even approaching what should have be worn on Sunday in LA. I was not successful that morning and left Santa Monica disliking all dresses and all shops. I was grumpy. I went home and knitted to de-stress. That evening I went over to Alex's place and then we went out shopping again. I suppose this time was more fruitful because Alexis and I both found dresses. We then both headed over to John's house. I brought my sister because I try to make it practice to never enter a new social situation alone (Erin can attest to this). We got lost, inevitably due to the sad map Google produced for us. But we did get to see Circus Liquors! This might mean very little to most of you, but this is the liquor store where Elton leaves Cher alone to get mugged in the movie Clueless. The place exists, I have seen it, and there is no phone booth there as Alexis so astutely noticed.
We eventually made our way to the correct street and found ourselves sitting in John's living room while listening to some of the most entertaining music I have ever heard played at a social event. I almost laughed aloud many a time throughout the night because I kept remembering that I was in John K's house and that is just ridiculous. He fit his home and that pleased me.
We spent about the first 15 minutes hearing Steve and John rail on Alex's work. I understand that in a way animation is their baby, so they are protective of it. But what they fail to consider is that Alexis is my sister so I can be protective of her (if that makes sense) and that perhaps she and her company have done some good work with restoring Disney animations that they (S and J) have not yet experienced. In addition, her company does not do the color for these restorations, Technicolor does. So don't complain to my sister about the quality of the color or the fact that Technicolor felt the need ramp up the contrast and over saturate the drawings. Unfortunately, I failed at being protective of my sister because I had no clue what to say. I felt bad.
Overall, it was a fun night and I wish I could have stayed longer than I had but both Alexis and I had work and plans for the next day.
Saturday, I woke up at the early hour of 7. I then drove to Pasadena to proctor a practice SAT (aka watch high school students suffer). Then I drove to Oak Park to tutor a student from my Wednesday night class. His father made sure that I gave his son more math homework so he could get a lot of practice in on that. That made me laugh (on the inside). I ended up driving over 100 miles that day, don’t ask me why because it is a boring story. I felt like a slug so I went to the gym and worked out twice as long as usual. It was my personal revenge on the shops I had gone into on Friday, not that they would know. After that I was much too tired to go to the movie shoot so I stayed home and knitted some more. Good thing too because the shoot had been cancelled.
(okay I am splitting this into two posts because I am tired and this could get long).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me that when you got to the party you stopped just outside the door, moved to the side, and made Alexis go in first! I swear before we graduate I'm MAKING you go down a set of basement stairs in front of me. Theta doesn't count.

Gemma said...

Basement stairs are a little different than enterting an animator's house, Erin. First of all they are dirty and the house was clean. Secondly after I get down the stairs I know I will see a bunch of drunk frat guys getting more drunk and a bunch of drunk girls who seem to have forgotten half of their clothing at home, trying to get the attention of the drunk boys. I must admit that the house was not like this either.

Anonymous said...

But did you walk in first?