Sunday, March 4, 2007

Old News

That's me. I am old news. I leave Los Angeles in a mere 13 days. I expect to be missed. But oh! How soon the young and brave (for a lack of more appropriate but less impressive adjectives) are forgotten! I have already been replaced! A new intern came into the archive on Saturday to solidify her position. I felt betrayed and cast aside. I had not even thought of packing and Steve had already shipped in a new girl to man (woman?) the machines. I had no clue what emotions hid behind the woman who strode into the archive that Saturday afternoon sporting a gray sweatshirt with a Mickey Mouse shaped American flag across the chest. (From boxers to sweatshirts, I own far less animation related clothing than many of the people I have come in contact with through the archive. In fact, I own none). But back to Saturday. . . Little did I know that behind that smiley and friendly exterior lay (wait for it) my replacement.
I smiled back at her as I explained my terribly complex job of burning DVDs and placing them into binders in the correct order so that they can later be taken out again and catalogued. I have to admit that it is comforting to know that someone will be able to continue to keep the archive organized after I am gone, I just didn't expect to "train" her let alone know she existed. I believe she found out about the possibility of interning for ASIFA-Hollywood from the video tour Steve made of the archive in which I am referred to as the intern. I should have known that with fame come troubles.
Perhaps I hyperbolize a bit too much than is necessary, but sharing my archival secrets so soon was not something I was fully prepared for on Saturday. I expected the archive to lament my departure and then search in vain for someone to fill my frequently complemented sneakers before finally finding someone who I would never know about. However, this only makes me more determined to finish the job I started so that I will lovingly be remembered as the intern who built a database! And the intern who cleaned Steve's office. Goodness, talk about a challenge! We also did that on Saturday. Cleaning and organizing, while difficult to get me going, is always so rewarding!
I am resigned. I will not be threatened. After all, I am the one leaving Burbank behind and not the other way around. Although it was suggested I drop out of school and move down here. But I have a feeling that there is still more waiting for me at Dartmouth and I am keen to discover what that is. So I will impart all my knowledge to the new intern and be satisfied knowing the archive is in capable hands trained by me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gemma My Dear I'm Sorry To Hear That You Feel Like You Are Old News... Truely That Is Most Unfortunate Since You Are The Best Thing To Happen To The WOrld Since...Velcro or Umbrella's That Come In Your Drinks! The Point Is Gemma That Sure You Might Feel Like You Have Been Forgotten, But You Have Made An Impact On The People You Have Met And Will Not Be Forgotten... Plus I Mean Really How Could They Not Remember You. Your Gemma Ross Damn It! Sorry Bout The Capitalization Thing... What Can I Say I'm AsIaN Right? Fuck... Anyways Enjoy Your Last Days In So-Cal Hope To Hear From You Soon. Take Care Of Your Self.

Anonymous said...

I reject the idea of you leaving in 13 days. The quarter system sucks, semesters are the only way to go, then I would have Gemma in town for much longer. Stupid Dartmouth, I hate you. Sister stealers suck. Alliteration doesn't.

Anonymous said...

No! I completely support the idea of Gemma leaving in 13 days. Perhaps only for selfish reasons, but by gosh we need her back in Hanover.
I propose a compromise, lets move Dartmouth to LA. yes?

Emma said...

I agree with erin. dartmouth to california! let's go!

pogo said...

Just say the word, and I'll take her out. One word, and it's done.

Or you can move to Seattle!! Wait, am I the only one supporting that idea?

Unknown said...

aw now, gemma. don't feel so downhearted about the switchover. there, there little one. and, hey i like your blog. your grammar and descriptives please me. enjoy your esteem boost. c-ya thursday.