Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Descanso Gardens

The roses are in full bloom in Pasadena.











Rebecca and I visited the Descanso Gardens in Pasadena on Monday. Rebecca informed me that Pasadena is where the old money of LA lives. Keep in mind that old in California is not the kind of old you would find in Europe. We both agreed that it made no sense for those people to have chosen Pasadena to inhabit back in the day when they could have chosen the coast. The Descanso Gardens are on the property of a one Mr. E. Manchester Boddy, publisher of the Los Angeles Daily News, who purchased the land in 1937 and built a 22 room mansion in addition to the beautiful gardens. Now anyone willing to make the drive to Pasadena may enjoy the beautiful respite from LA city life.
I suggested to my friends, Rebecca and Anna, that we go to the gardens on Monday so as to continue my very slow exploration of all things Los Angeles. Sadly, Anna could not make it, but Rebecca and I had a fine time and many a one-word conversation.

Pond!


Rabbit!


Fish!


Hottt....


Throughout our wanderings we discussed the sorts of things you would expect a couple of friends having an afternoon completely planned out for chatting and relaxing to discuss: places we would like to travel, relationship issues, the kind of house we would like to live in if we can one day afford a house, and several other good things. We came across a small maze intended for little children and decided to wind our way to the center and have a sit on the tiny benches awaiting us there.


In addition to mini benches there were also mini railroads tracks complete with mini railroad sign, either that or I am a true giant.


After we got thoroughly turned around and lost in the lilac garden, which is the smallest garden there I might add, but in the corner so easy to get disoriented in, we found the Japanese garden.


In the Japanese garden I found vandalized bamboo. What? Yes, graffiti-ed bamboo. Disappointing isn't it? Who carves stupid stuff into beautiful plants? I feel the same way about graffiti over murals. Why would you do that? There are just some people I may never understand.


Please enjoy some more pictures taken at the gardens, no grafitti please:









2 comments:

Allie said...

Beautiful pictures, I'm sure, but all I can see in them are your giant boobies.

I'm coming to Santa Barbara for a week today! Come up and visit! Francesca will be there! (I'm staying at her house, actually)

Anonymous said...

Haha you're boobies outshine the gardens, damn!

Next time we'll go to the Huntington Gardens too and have tea.