Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My Excuses

Ugh, see? I knew I would be really, really bad at this blog thing this summer! I suppose I will have to tell you why I have not written in a while. First of all, I have no clue really who "you" are this time around, whereas last time I had a pretty concrete idea who was reading my blog. For some reason I use this as an excuse not to write. Second of all, I have been doing all of the following:
Thursday night I played UNO, yep the card game, with Alex's work crew in a pub. Well to be specific, not just any UNO, but waterproof UNO so that you can safely spill on, spit on, and finally lick the cards. Although I don't recommend spitting on them. . . or licking them for that matter. Come to think of it I don't know why water UNO was invented. I will get to the point now, shall I? Yes, there is a point to UNO. I found the whole interaction entirely interesting due to the striking similarities between Alex's gang and the group I hang out with at the Coral. The first and final one being that I would never have chosen these people off the street to be a part of our respective crews, and yet, now finding them to be my friends and my sister's I cannot really imagine having found any group more intriguing or of a better fit.
Friday night I made the amazing discovery that my friend Anna from Dartmouth is in LA! I suppose it was more her discovery though since she is the one who called me. Anna invited me to the Hollywood Bowl that night to see the LA Philharmonic and Jamie Cullum. The program was called Cool Britannia so we listened to cool British music all night. Ian Fleming (James Bond), Noel Gay and Austin Powers were the features of the first half. Then Jamie Cullum joined the orchestra. He is a young and talented pianist who, as far as I am concerned, has yet to really mature into his talent. For those of you who do not know what the Hollywood Bowl is, it is an outdoor amphitheater set in the Hollywood hills. It was close to magical listing to the LA Philharmonic and looking up at the stars and hills, until I saw the spotlights making an X over our heads. While everything was still gorgeous, it was also so LA. It was quite the experience.
Saturday night Alexis invited me to join her and her friend Jordan and Jordan's husband at The Comedy Store on the Sunset strip. This was two firsts for me. I had never been to the strip before and I had never been to a comedy club. That was one expensive night! Parking was a complete nightmare and the club of course had a cover charge then a two drink limit as well. What the two drink limit really means is that they serve you small, poorly made drinks at outstanding prices.
Sunday was a day spent in the sun with my sister reading. That night we cooked MahiMahi in a lime marinade (that I managed to leave a majority of the ingredients out of at first) and a tomato and avocado sauce. Then last night we cooked saffron and asparagus risotto with scallops. I am proud of us. Both were very tasty and looked good too. I have included a picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are perhaps culinary geniuses

Erin said...

I am alive! and reading! and i KNOW you're a culinary genius.