Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Google Earth

Last term I joined a team at Dartmouth which was entered in a competition to build our campus in 3D. The competition was put on by Google. Now, Google is a brilliant company. They needed to promote their 3D software, SketchUp, for Google Earth, so what do they do? Get people to build things for Google Earth for free by calling it a competition! Really genius!
To ruin the suspense: we won! Not too be overly confident but I really am not surprised. This could be because our team leader drove us into the ground and was always saying that we were going to win so that once it was officially announced, I knew it was just a confirmation of what she had been saying all along. I am so proud! And also soooo famous. Well, not that famous. I made it into Dartmouth news and that is good enough for me right now. Here is a picture of the work my team did (picture courtesy of Jess):

The prize for winning this competition is, for all intensive purposes, a trip home for me. We won a trip to the Googleplex (great word) which is 20 minutes south of my house. While this may seem a bit underwhelming to some, I am very excited just to see my whole team again. I may have hated the project at the time, but memory puts a lovely tint on everything and I love my team. Not to be sappy but I can't wait to see them in August.
If you want to see my work, go here and download the Dartmouth file. Then open the kmz files into Google Earth (you need to have Google Earth to see the buildings) and be impressed by me and my whole nerdy but oh so loveable team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...your house would be the only one with a red roof, then? good thinking.