Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Farewell Archive

“I came out to see the tears,” Steve said as he emerged from his office to find me admiring the drawing Mike had made for me on my last day at the archive. There were no tears, and for anyone who has known me long enough will know I very rarely share my emotions openly. Although there were no tears shed, there was quite the panoply of feelings welling up inside of me. I knew that this time around I was leaving behind so much more than I left behind when I parted from the archive in March. While I had made great friends in the winter, the summer solidified those relationships in ways I did not fully expect.
I found myself listening to Jojo at the Coral as he alternately lamented the students at his school and proclaimed us to be some of his greatest friends, and I silently agreed that he was right. I knew I would miss everyone so much and of course I have turned out to be right. The archive became a home to me and taught me an immeasurable amount. It is difficult to put into words what the archive has taught me. The archive is primarily a resource for artists and I have trouble even comparing myself to the students who follow Steve’s archive posts and visit the archive to take advantage of the never-ending treasures laid out there. I envy them for they can more easily show and describe what they have learned.
I did not learn the way I learn in a classroom while at ASIFA-Hollywood and I am sure that I am better for it. I was in charge of my own education at the archive and it would have been easy enough to just sort through films and art without absorbing anything. Well, no, that wouldn’t have been very easy for me to do because I absorb quite a bit at a pretty good rate. So I learned what I would consider some basics, such as which animators worked where and did what. I learned about artists first by looking at their work then usually through my own (very little) research. But beyond that more concrete sort of education, I more importantly developed a more critical eye and mind. Just by looking at so much art day after day I learned what I consider to be good art. The sheer volume of art I was exposed to through my work with the database and listening to conversations held by Steve and visitors gave me the ability to better analyze and critique animation and art.
As mentioned earlier, working at the archive gave me an education as well as friends that I am certain will last a lifetime. I almost forgot! The archive also did quite a bit for my self-confidence; I was amazed by all of the things I accomplished while working there. That felt good.
Now I say a final good bye and a tremendous thank you for everything to the archive and all of my LA friends for a few months. But don’t worry I will come back to visit.

1 comment:

Stephen Worth said...

I got your note. We miss you!

What is your email address? I've got an idea.

your pal
Steve